Sunday, December 28, 2014

December 22, 2014 - Driving on the "wrong" side of the road and swear words...

Hey Family and Friends!!

Turns out I drive better on the opposite side of the road. Sister Iusua-Fiu (pronounced you-sue-a-few) probably wouldn't think so but I do!

I am alive. I am still white (no burn) but apparently this is the BEGINNING of summer. The hottest month is February so I am in for a treat.
This last week has been so crazy. I arrived at the mission home without luggage on Wednesday. I went home to my flat (little house) on Thursday with no luggage. My luggage was returned to me on Friday afternoon and I got the car keys and my driving test on Saturday.

It's honestly a miracle I am alive. The roads are so confusing. President told me that I have to drive but only when my jetlag was behind me and I felt ready. (President and Sister Lindsay are angels. I love them so much!! Also the AP's are wonderful).

Missionary work had a late start for our companionship. We got home hours later than everyone else and we were doubled into our area. That means we had to clean, unpack (several times because our luggage came late) and PLAN PLAN PLAN! We were on bikes for the first bit and it was so fun for me!

Did I mention Au is GORGEOUS? I live in a part that is a little more green than most of WA. It's an hour south of Perth. Every night, the sky is lit with the sunset. There are hills everywhere, so when you get to the top you can see Kilo's (that's hard to get used to) of green tree tops. The sky turns all colors and within minutes, all you see is stars. It is beautiful. I absolutely love it here.
We didn't know members, or anyone in the area so we planned for the week and called around the ward. We got a chance to meet with some ladies in the ward on Friday. And on Sunday we met bishop and the rest of the ward. Lots of names and faces I need to learn.

The ward is beautiful. The people are beautiful. It's
weird to here people refer to the church in the United States. It's like they look up to how we operate, but they are doing a fine job. The spirit was strong, and they are so focused on missionary work. Miracles are going to happen, I know it!!

We went carolling one of the nights and saw a miracle. We were walking around a shopping center, out in the parking lot. We didn't know where to head to next, so we were just walking. There was someone riding towards us on a bike, so we called to her last second "Can we sing you a song". She stopped abruptly and said "Yes please. You are a miracle, I didn't realize you were missionaries. I just got some bad news. Really bad news. And I just need some comfort. I've never met people like you who sing in supermarkets but I know God sent you here to me today"

We sang for her, a few songs (2 Elders and 4 Sisters) and prayed for her. We gave her a He is the Gift card and she invited herself to church (; She said she was worried she would be unable to ride home, but now she knew she could calm her thoughts and relax knowing that God loved her and was looking out for her in her moment of anxiety and worry.

We sang to everyone that night. Julia was also a gift to us. She told us to always remember, even though people wont always accept our message, that there are people like her that we need to touch, and we will as long as we keep going.

Singing was fun, but that miracle stuck with me the rest of the night.

My companion is from the East Coast of AU, but she is Samoan. She is gorgeous inside and out. She just got done training another sis, so she's an expert on American drivers and everything else. I love studies with her. She has very good insight about the doctrine of Christ and we are constantly focusing on the people we can help and serve with our message.

I am so impressionable. I haven't started talking LIKE the Aussies but I definitely am starting to pick up some words. They say "True", "All Good!" "Ay" and "Azzz" all the time. azz is like an emphasis. "how are you?" "Good Azzz"

Another thing to get used to is Damn and Hell are not bad words here. It's one thing to hear it from someone random, but another to hear it from your zone leaders and trainer. It's so funny because she always forgets I'm American and says it. I really hope I don't pick up that habit but most of the Americans I have met here have! HAHA.

Sister Iosua-Fui told me mom is going to HATE her for corrupting my ears. But it's just the norm here. Love it!


In Alma 17:31-33, Ammon gives us some really good advise. Good advise for missionaries and all of God's children. He says to be of good cheer. I says that when people are lost, and looking for Christ, don't worry. Go gather the people, and bring them with you to church. Let them come unto Christ, and encircle them with love and charity so they will never be lost again.

I hope we can all do that this Christmas. That's what we are trying to do, is to encircle our members in love.
I am loving it here so much. Everything about it.
I am happy and healthy.
I am excited to Skype on Christmas (I hope you'll all be awake)

Before I go,

(Note from Mom: This is a Christmas tradition, we tell each person why we love them.)
Reasons Why I Love You:
Mom: She spoils me. She is the best emotional and spiritual support to me. I am so grateful for your thoughtful letters. I am thankful for your example of tirelessly magnifying your calling.
Dad: Thank you for financially supporting me on my mission. It is the greatest blessing to be allowed to come here and serve. In Alma 7;11-12, Jesus suffered so he could know how to succor His people. You served a mission for the Lord, but I am grateful for your service. You gave me the most comfort and advice before I came out here. Thank you. Also for your fathers blessing. That has brought me great comfort the last few weeks.
Luke: For years you have been someone I can talk to about just about anything. I miss those talks. Thank you, and for your support.
Kylee: You're like a sister and a mom to me at the same time. You are able to be my best friend and nurture and comfort me. Thank you for that. You are an example of selfless service.
Brody. I miss your snuggles. You always make me laugh. Love you Brod
Piper: She is a perfect angel
PJ: You give the most comforting advice, and have helped me several times through the last few months.
Lauren: You always doll me up - makeup and hair! I absolutely LOVE that. You are my best friend and I've learned so much from our talks and watching the way you prioritize your life, putting the most important things first. Thank you.
Duke: You're cuter than shaddow
Austin: You are my best example of who I want to become and how to get there. You work hard at your weaknesses and are such a wonderful brother. 
Adam: You comfort me in bed... JK I love ya bud. You look adorable in your braces, but most of all I love how humble you are. You are so humble when it comes to musical talents and how cute you are.
Emmalee: I LOVE your letters. Your sweet love and hugs. You are so kind and thoughtful, so sweet to friends. Thanks baby
Shadow: I don't love you but get better soon
Yanni: You are a huge support to me, on my mission and everything else. You are close to the spirit which I admire and have great faith
I love you all. Merry Christmas. See ya soon!
Ether 12:4

No comments:

Post a Comment